JOB OPENING: Executive Director
The West Broadway Business and Area Coalition (WBC) is accepting applications for the Executive Director position.
Since 2007, WBC has been building the capacity of businesses and entrepreneurs, highlighting the positive business and cultural assets of North Minneapolis, and engaging the resident and business community in the transformation of the West Broadway commercial corridor. WBC curates community-identified activities designed to transform West Broadway into a thriving commercial corridor that meets the goods, service and entertainment needs of neighborhood residents, businesses, and visitors.
The WBC’s core programs and initiatives fall under:
- District-wide Improvements
- West Broadway Business Improvement District (a self-managed BID)
- West Broadway District Arts Initiative
- Facade Improvement Program
- Business Recruitment
- Entrepreneur Opportunities
- West Broadway Farmers Market
- Flea, Artist and Holiday Markets and Pop Up Boutiques
- Calls for Artists- placemaking, public art and engagement
- Related Technical Assistance
- Advocacy and Communications
- Showcase Events: FLOW Northside Arts Crawl and Taste of West Broadway
- Media Relations and Storytelling
- Business Committee Networking Events
- Resource Brokering
- Transit and Pedestrian Advocacy
This work has resulted in over $1 million dollars of private and public funds invested, 41 storefronts renovated, and national recognition from ArtPlace America for a $250,000 creative placemaking grant.
The WBC is a membership based organization that collaborates with and advocates for its members representing small businesses, social enterprises, artists, farmers market vendors, and nonprofits. It is governed by an engaged, culturally diverse board of directors.
The Executive Director (ED) represents an organization that stands for positive change through coalition building, cooperation between disparate stakeholders, innovative initiatives, and effective marketing of the area to a broader base. The ED should be passionate about working within this community.
In 2015 the board and staff completed a strategic planning process. The ED is responsible for working with the board and staff to oversee implementation of the strategic plan and accomplishing its goals and objectives. The ED oversees and implements the overall management of the organization. Within the parameters established by the BOD, the ED hires/supervises staff, oversees fundraising and organizational development activities, builds productive connections within the community, engages with stakeholders, and represents the West Broadway Coalition in the broader community; and completes other duties as assigned by the BOD.
The ED is responsible for overseeing administration and implementation of economic development activities by providing structure and support to the organization’s program areas. It is the responsibility of the ED is to work with board and staff to draft an annual budget and to design and implement fundraising initiatives sufficient to meet that budget. The responsibility is to raise the budget sufficient to operate the organization, implement its programs, and deliver the desired outcomes.
Qualifications and Experience:
- The candidate should be a visionary leader with the ability to manage in a complex environment and interact effectively with a wide range of individuals.
- The candidate will be an enthusiastic and inspirational motivator of people and a strong relationship builder.
- The candidate should demonstrate their ability to promote and encourage staff and volunteer development, carry out effective team-leadership and exemplify a positive-outcomes performance attitude.
- This individual must have strategic & innovative planning ability, critical thinking skills, significant time management skills, and the ability to implement long-term vision and annual objectives.
- Successful fundraising/securing contracts and grant and/or proposal writing experience.
- The ideal candidate will have a BA, and MA, MBA or equivalent advanced degree in a related field. Appropriate backgrounds include community and economic development, real estate, non-profit, development, for-profit industry, or work in government agencies.
- Additionally s/he will have had 3+ years of management and leadership experience that includes coalition building and supervisor experience.
- Knowledge of non-profit management, laws, and rules.
- Candidate must have exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Preferred: knowledge of commercial corridor revitalization strategies and best practices including: business improvement districts, farmers markets, arts, creative place making, real estate, business associations, branding, etc.
This position is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Salary DOQ. Please send cover letter, with three references and a resume or any questions to: Dr. Tara Watson, Board President at email@example.com by March 1, 2016. No phone calls please.