Job Opening: Food Access Intern
The West Broadway Farmers Market is a project of the West Broadway Business and Area Coalition (WBC). WBC is seeking a qualified and motivated individual to fill our Food Access Intern position for the upcoming 2015 market season.
WBC is hiring a part-time intern to manage food access programs, promotion, and accounting for the West Broadway Farmers Market. This is a part-time seasonal position June-October, 10-15 hours per week. Required market hours are Friday 1-8 pm, and Saturday July 25th time TBD. Additional hours of accounting and evaluation will be required per week (these hours are flexible but a set schedule is required).
- Administer the EBT program at the WBFM and Northside mini-markets
- Assist with coordination of community meals at the market
- Set-up/take-down market (signs, tables, tents, chairs, flags, garbage)
- Assist with market demonstrations and activities (cooking demos, art demos, music, hula hooping, etc.) as needed
- Help draw customers into the market by flyering, talking to passing pedestrians, waving at passing traffic, holding signs, etc.
- Welcome customers and answer customer questions at the market information booth
- Understand WBC’s token program, guidelines and requirements for the federal SNAP program and other food assistance programs such as FMNP, Market Bucks, etc., and be able to accurately communicate information about those programs to market vendors and diverse customers.
- Operate the card reader machine and dispense SNAP tokens and credit/debit tokens according to established procedures
- Manage and take responsibility for the accuracy of paperwork, tracking, and before and after market accounting associated with the token system according to established procedures.
- Maintain adequate levels of all supplies for operating the token system including: paper scrip, POS paper rolls, promotional materials, charged batteries, etc.
- Set up the information booth table and signs
- Provide general customer service, such as helping customers in search of specific vendors or products, offering cooking advice, providing information about nutrition and product seasonality.
- EBT outreach, advertising, and promotion
- Friendly and outgoing
- Customer service skills and experience
- Detail oriented with secure cash handling experience
- Ability to multi-task
- An interest in farmers markets and locally grown food; experience as a customer or as a vendor at a farmers market.
- An interest/passion in farmers markets, local economic development, and place-making
- Flexible, organized, and able to prioritize
- Preferred – Ability to speak languages such as Hmong, Somali, etc.
Reports to: Farmers Market Manager
Deadline to apply: 5PM, May 29th, 2015
Please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Term: June –October 2014
Pay: $10-12 per hour
Contact: DeVon Nolen at 612-353-5178 or email@example.com for more information.